Apprenticeship (Advanced) Dental Nurse Level 3 (Standard)
The Dental Nurse role complements the role of other dental professionals. One of the primary roles is to provide chair-side support to dental professionals and deliver a high level of patient care.
Dental nurses may work in a variety of clinical environments and the apprenticeship reflects all aspects of clinical responsibilities and duties of a dental nurse’s role and will provide the apprentice with the relevant qualification to apply to the General Dental Council (GDC) for professional registration as a dental nurse.
Dental nurses are registered professionals and work within the standards and scope of practice defined by the GDC Scope of Practice document (Sept 2013).
By the end of the programme, the apprentice will be aware of:
• oral anatomy and physiology, respiratory and circulatory systems
• how infectious diseases are transmitted and prevented
• dental materials, equipment and resources
• how to deal with medical emergencies
• legislative compliance and regulatory requirements
• clinical skills
• health promotion
• patient care and management
Apprentices will achieve a qualification that has been approved by the GDC as meeting the requirements for entry to the professional register.