We are delighted to announce that West Kent & Ashford College’s higher education teaching has been given a ‘Silver’ award in the first set of Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) ratings, published by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) on the 22nd June. The silver award is given to institutions that consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education."
The College’s exceptional HE teaching and learning provision was recognised by the TEF panel, with feedback including:
- "Students achieve excellent outcomes with regard to progression to employment and to highly skilled employment or further study."
- "Course design provides sufficient stretch to enable students to progress and develop transferable and professional skills."
- "An institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent teaching."
- "Close working relationships with employers and professional bodies, with employers contributing to curriculum planning and supporting the drive to align skills development with labour market demand."
This year is a pilot for the new TEF scheme, which assesses universities and colleges offering higher education based on metrics of graduate employment, student retention and student satisfaction.
Carmel Jewell, Head of Higher Education, said: “We are delighted that the TEF has acknowledged our delivery of very high quality higher education. We’re hugely proud of our teaching and outcomes and have invested heavily in facilities. From working closely with our students and listening to their vital feedback, we have implemented many new initiatives to further enhance their learning experience."
Our degree-level programmes are awarded by some of the top universities in the country:
- University of Kent – 4th for satisfaction in the 2016 National Student Survey, 23rd in the Guardian Complete University Guide 2017 and recipient of a TEF Gold Award
- University of Greenwich – Winner of 4 Queen’s Anniversary prizes for Higher and Further Education and recipient of a TEF Silver Award
- Canterbury Christ Church University – Rated one of the top 50 universities for student experience (Times Higher Education UK Student Experience Survey) and recipient of a TEF Silver Award
There are a number of initiatives to support the HE student experience at West Kent & Ashford, including:
- Funding and partner university support to develop cutting-edge research into current issues within the sectors we serve
- Scholarly activity funding is available to our dissertation students to financially support innovation and research opportunities
- Dedicated ‘University Hub’ areas for undergraduates, allocated for their exclusive use
- Offering a personal experience to all of our students so that they benefit from smaller class sizes and dedicated one-to-one contact time with their tutor
- Our linkages with Greenwich, Kent and Canterbury Christ Church Universities enabling students to access a vast array of financial support and advice within these organisations